Review: Rimmel London Apocalips (Show Off) Matte Lip Velvet

I think I have an addiction to liquid lipsticks, I have reviewed quite a few already and I have not had enough. I wanted to try out the Rimmel London Apocalips Matte Lip Velvet. It is also called "Show Off Lip Lacquer."

Photo credit: www.dailymail.co.uk


I personally prefer matte liquid lipsticks, why? Because I feel that whenever I put on such a bold color, sight for example, Deep Red, I wanted to tone it down by mattifying it. I feel that if I wear a shiny bold lip, I'd get really conscious, not to mention, think that the product might be all over my teeth. (insert blush emoticon here)

Anyway, if you want to learn more about the Rimmel London Apocalips/ Show Off Lip Velvet, read on.

PACKAGING:
I am not too sold with the packaging. Okay, the lid is similar with the signature cut of Cle de Peau Beaute lipsticks. (See my previous blog on this very expensive lipstick from Paris and Tokyo here.) but overall, there's nothing to special (or cute) about this product's packaging. To me, it looks more like a tube of mascara than a lip gloss.

APPLICATOR:

Unlike the Provocalips, this lip product has a concave applicator tip. If you look at the photo closely, you will notice that the product is concentrated or deposited in the curved center. Application is also made easier because the wand is very pliable, it easily follows every nook and cranny of the lips making us able to perfectly apply the product.

SHADES:
There are basically 5 shades available for this variant (from nudes to glam) namely:
1.) Apollo - A flat nude beige color. Suitable for fair skin.
2.) Atomic Rose - A nice pink shade perfect for daily use.
3.) Orange-Ology - A shocking orange shade, perfect for those who wants to make a statement.
4.) Burning Lava - A perfect blue hue red lipstick. Perfect. Period.
5.) Meteoric Matte - A plum shade that oozes with mystery.

I got two shades (2) Atomic Rose and Burning Lava. Basically because not everything on the website was available during the time that I purchased it. I find that these are cheaper online than in any local supplier I found in Instagram.

SWATCH:





I love the fact that it gives really vivid colors. My favorite so far is Burning Lava (who wouldn't???) Atomic rose is a but patchy upon initial application but dries into this lovely nude pink shade with a hint of coral.

As mentioned earlier, I love how the applicator bends to follow the unique shapes of our lips, here's a video of how I applied the product on without any hassle.




SCENT:
It honestly smells like paint. Meaning, there was no fragrance added to the product to conceal the real scent. It is not the nicest smell, BUT it evaporates soon after application. I don't mind it really. Maybe it is such because of the longevity property of the product.


ENDURANCE TEST:
This product is a weightless liquid color with a velvety smooth finish. Upon application, you can instantly feel that the product easily glides on the lips. It has a light but thick, mousse-like, velvety feel on the lips.

Compared with the Provocalips, this product does not have any moisturizer or lip balm included but it claims that it still moisturizes the lips instantly upon application.

It claims to stay on the lips without budge for at least 8 hours. Here's the result of my endurance test.


Overall, I love the color payout, It easily glides on the lips and it isn't patchy upon application. The velvety texture allows me to spread the product evenly. It doesn't completely dry out as there tends to be a little color transfer especially if you used a lip balm on top of it. Even though there's a little transfer going on, it still leaves your lips stained with color. The only problem is, it claims to stay on the lips for at least 8 hours, but by the 4th hour, I can barely see any trace of the product on. I have yet to check the resiliency of the darker shade. (I'll try to update this post as soon as I am able to set another endurance test for the Burning Lava shade.) Of course, I dare not forget about the finish. It's oh, so matte!!! I love it!!! =)

Comments