ANNULMENT, COULD THIS BE THE BEST SOLUTION TO A FAILING MARRIAGE?


As I took a drag on my second stick, I looked up and saw two birds, playfully flying around their new nest. I thought, “how lucky are these birds, they can fly to wherever their little wings could take them.”

God really did create all beings equal. You can’t have it all. Mankind, however smart, innovative and creative they may be, is still bound to the ground and can’t just get anywhere they wanted to go, unlike the birds in the sky who are free to be wherever they wanted to be.

This article isn’t about love. It is about the reality of the heartbreak of being married to a person who can’t seem to be with you any longer.

When you marry, couples are asked by the priest to pronounce to the entire Church a vow between husband and wife. It goes something like:

Credit To Owner: Sandals Resort



credit to owner: agblawyers.com

“I, ____, take you, ____, to be my lawfully wedded (husband/wife), to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part.”

A vow although so moving, is often forgotten by married couples due to certain misunderstandings or differences as they progress into their married life. This is probably why at certain countries, marriage success rate is considerably very low.


Divorce, Annulment, Mutual Separation, these are just some of the countermeasures couples take to renounce their marriage. Although the Catholic Church still, at this day and age, do not tolerate separating what God has put together. Despite this, the society is slowly, but surely accepting that people are two different beings and that there are instances where enough is enough.


What do you do then, if you are living in a country that highly opposes annulment of marriage?


My husband and I are at this point in our relationship where we are deciding to emigrate to another country. My personal reasons include the paycheck, putting our children through school for free and other perks that the Government of the country we are considering to emigrate to provides to all its residents. Most importantly, the quality time that we, as a family would be able to invest in each other for the betterment of our unit. But, my husband is very hesitant to this move.


Credit To Owner: Outsourcingopinions.com


Of course, displacing oneself is not an easy feat. We have invested so much in this country already, family, friends, profession, network, assests. You name it, we have it. But, really, is it hard to leave that all behind if your own family is intact?

I remember what the Priest told us on the day of our wedding. “…the son will leave his mother and father and take his wife to be his very own…”

As much as I do not want to admit it, my husband’s reason why he doesn’t want to leave his country for a life of our own is that he is afraid that if we fight, there is no where he could run to.

Insert a breaking glass sound effect…

Credit To Harvard Health
My heart is shattered into pieces. I could not fathom the pain his words caused me. I thought that entering into this marriage would mean that it would just be the two of us. To have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part.

How can you remain to be in a relationship with someone you can’t stand? How can you be in a relationship with someone who do not see you as a partner? Someone who would be with you through thick and thin?

I realized that he was not against emigrating to another country. He was against having just “us” around each other. And this is what depresses me.

A couple of years ago, he proposed to me by asking me if I would go with him wherever he goes. Without batting an eyelash, I said, “yes.” Now, I cannot imagine how this man who asked me to be his wife would rather stay here in this country, so that whenever he cannot stand me, he would be able to distance himself.

Call it old school if you want, but doesn’t that defeat what marriage entirely stand for?

I was actually expecting that instead of him looking into negative reasons, I hope he would look at it the way I see it. That no matter what happens, it would be okay, because we are together. That we would and could resolve whatever differences we have for the sake of the entire family.
And oh, was I so wrong.

Image Credit To Owner.
Here I am, married – stuck with someone who can’t stand being with me. How do you answer to that? How do you really go on living knowing that your husband would rather be with someone else, do something else, than be with you, do things with you?

How do you patch the broken pieces of this dreadful truth?

I can barely see the road as tears just went streaming down my face. I was asking God to enlighten me. How do I move on? How do I rid myself of such a heavy heart? My life as a married woman is over. I really wanted to establish “us” somewhere far from here. Because I can’t make him choose us, I can’t make him choose me.

If we stay, every day he would grow further and further away from me. Our children would grow up seeing that their parents have a growing hatred towards each other. My son would grow up knowing that it’s okay to hurt his wife as long as he is able to put food on the table. My daughter would grow up accepting that wives have no voice in a marriage.  I would live my nightmares every day until the day I die.



Image Credit  to Health Central
If we leave, he would blame me for it and he would live his nightmares until the day he dies.

So, the question still remains, how do you stay? Why will you stay?

If the Church would be able to understand that God can only do so much, that men still have the ability to decide and the capability to choose, then nullifying a marriage contract should not be tedious, difficult and expensive.

Women would still continue bearing the cross of staying in a dying relationship. I personally do not intend to keep him in my life, especially now that I know that his problem is me.

I envy the birds. They are free. They can fly away whenever they want. I envy other creatures who are given the ability to choose what is best for them. Right now, I don’t know if I can ever mend this broken heart. I don’t know if I can stay in this very abusive environment. My mind, my soul and my body could only take so much beating. Sometimes, I envy the dead, for they don’t have to worry about their heart breaking over and over again.

Image Credit To hitch.co.uk


Comments