Sulyap

A “Glance” Back To Our History.


If you think that Metro Manila and its nearby provinces is highly urbanized and that chances of finding a historical place is zero to none, think again.

South of Manila is the closest access anyone could have to enjoy scenic views and lush greeneries. When I was younger, I remember my family having short trips to the beach every summer. If we don’t feel like having a dip in the ocean, we can always opt for a dip at the hot spring pools. That’s because Batangas and Laguna offers the nearest getaway for nature lovers.

This was what our generation used to enjoy. Kids today have changed and to support this change investors had to go along with it. If before all you can see are rice fields and huts, now you will see subdivisions in the middle of the rice fields, your favourite designer brand outlets, a wake board park, and a lot more, it will surprise you really on how fast urbanization is becoming.

What’s more scary is how youth today finds this more enjoying than seeing a cow or a farmer harvesting palay. They seem so unattached to what their parents, and their parent’s parents used to enjoy. Are we really forgetting about our roots or are we just no longer reminded of how awesome (yes, you read it right, I used the word awesome) simple things were?

My husband’s niece, she’s 10 now, have seen a cow only twice (I think)! When my husband and I were not yet married, she was about 7 years old then, I remember her telling me that she hasn’t seen a live cow. I was so surprised, because her mother is born in the province.

Maybe, just maybe, all we need is reminding. A reminder of how beautiful our history really is. Which is why I had to blog about this new discovery.

My husband was chosen to stand as the godfather of his cousin’s first born, Icah (pronounced as Ay-ka). From our home, we had to travel two hours south to San Pablo, Laguna. (It took us two hours because of the traffic) When we finally got there, the ceremony was almost over. The weather wasn’t too cooperative that time so it added to the delay.



A view from the table where we seated.

After the ceremony, we drove for about five minutes to Cocoland Compound, Barangay Del Remedio, San Pablo City. I kept on thinking where we will be going. The place looked old and undeveloped. From the looks of it, maybe it was a school. Before you enter the compound, there is a tall white gate and at the right side, a small sign made out of tarpaulin that read: Sulyap: Gallery Café and Restaurant.

2nd Floor where we had our lunch
The driveway wasn’t paved, moss covered the path. From the outside, you will see a huge building (this was what made me think that it was a school) on the left, there were two old houses. 





The ground floor is made of cement and the second floor is made of wood. The windows were huge and it was made of capiz. Inside, furniture were made of hardwood. On the walls were for me, antique statues of saints and there were intricate details on the ceiling. Imagine the old houses in Vigan, Ilocos Norte. It was simply - beautiful.


Paco

I don’t know what we were going to eat for lunch, but when plates covered with silver domes came I thought that it must be delicious. And it was.





Lakatan Crepe ala Mode
Fried Tilapia
We had Paco with Itlog na Maalat, Kamatis and Sibuyas (Fern with Salty Egg, Tomato and Onion), Sinigang na Sugpo (A Traditional Filipino Sour Soup with Shrimp and Vegetables), Tortang Talong (Eggplant Omelet), Bistek Tagalog (Beef Steak with Onions), Crispy Tilapia (Fried Fish) and of course, rice. And for dessert, we had three types of Crepes ala mode: Mango, Saba and Lakatan.


Table for Two at the Ground Floor.
I couldn’t get enough of the ambiance, so I told myself that I had to see the rest of the “house.” We stayed at the second floor so, right after eating and a bit of pictorial, I went downstairs. As amazed as I was dining upstairs, so was I when I saw the interiors from below.

What’s more was that there was also a museum where old artefact can be viewed up close and personal. The “school” that I was pertaining to earlier was actually the museum. There are countless items that you wouldn’t imagine were used by people before. Strange how we are able to modernize everything for our convenience.


I recommend this Bed and Breakfast to all those who wanted to have a Sulyap (glimpse) of the past to appreciate and give value to where we all came from.


Sulyap Gallery Café and Restaurant offers a high variety of affordable menu that suits the taste of every Filipino and Filipino-at heart. For more information, visit their website here.

Note: Photos of the food above are owned by Sulyap. (My photos are to be uploaded at the Album Tab later)

Comments

Post a Comment