CERVICAL CANCER VACCINATION

Did you know that up to 80% of women will get HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) in their lifetime? It's the virus that causes cervical cancer. Everyday there are 12 Filipino women that dies of cervical cancer. And within 5 years of diagnosis, more than half of the women with cervical cancer won't survive?
Every woman is at risk. You and me. The risk of getting the HPV increases with age. The older the woman gets, the higher the risk of persistent HPV infection. Because cervical cancer is a silent killer, most women don't know that they have it until it's too late.
This year, the company that I work at is sensitive enough to provide a subsidized anti HPV vaccination for all women employees. Without thinking twice, I immediately signed up for it. I knew that it was one thing that I shouldn't let pass.

The famous pink band aid with white X mark.
Here, Glaxo Smith Kline offers the vaccine, Cervarix. It basically has three doses. A month after the first dose, the second dose will be administered. Six months after the second dose, will be the third and final dose, each having 0.5ml suspension.
Does it hurt? Well, I gave birth via C-section, so these things don't bother me as much. Anyway, I'm not sure if there are any difference between the three doses, but so far, the first dose feels like an ordinary flu vaccine. I was able to do all my tasks right after the shot. The second dose, however felt a little painful and heavy. I felt the thickness of the suspension and my arm felt a little ngalay. As of July 2013, I had the third and final shot. I am really glad to get it over with. At least I've taken an extra step to protect myself not only for me, but also to my loved ones.

Final Shot being rendered by the Dr. in charge. Ouch!


Cervarix
Having this vaccination will definitely give me more security. I know I've taken a step further to prevent cervical cancer. I just hope that all women out there would take the initiative to visit their OBGYNE and avail of this shot. It is a bit costly, but compared to the benefits, I will say that the benefit outweighs the cost BIG TIME!
For more information, click here.

Comments