Review: Oil of Argan, 100% Pure Moroccan Argan Oil

It has been quite a while since Moroccan Argan Oil products have been taking over the market. It's said to be called "Liquid Gold" primarily because of how valuable and expensive it is (because of how it's manufactured) aside from its endless beauty benefits.

On the photo: ARGAN NUT (native to Southwestern Morocco only)
Short Backgrounder: The Argan Oil is from the nut of an Argan Tree which supposedly only grows in Southwestern Morocco. Morocco is a country in the Maghreb region of North Africa. 

Although Moroccan Argan Oil is not the primary domestic product Morocco is known for, Argan Oil has become increasingly popular with women because of its several benefits. Local Moroccans (Berbers to be exact) manually extracts the Argan nut by using two stones. The nuts are kneaded by hand for hours before they can finally extract the oils. One person can approximately make one liter of oil in three days, which is probably why it is so expensive.
photo credit: www.ila-spa.com
photo credit: www. retrospectivetraveller.co.uk

Argan oil has a lot of uses depending on how it has been manufactured. It can be used for cooking, beautification, etc. Here's a list of a few things you can do with Argan oil (not including culinary uses):

Sample Bottle of Oil of Argan. (www.oilofarganph.com)


MOISTURIZER - For the face, neck, knees, elbows even nails! After washing my face at night before going to sleep, I use at least 2 drops of my Argan Oil and spread it all over my face. My face feel soft and supple in the morning. 

Sometimes I use it to soften my hands, elbows and knees. Unlike ordinary oils, this product is easily absorbed by the skin and is not sticky at all. 

I have thin and brittle nails. Which is why whenever I go to a nail salon, I always ask them to avoid using strong solutions like the pink cuticle remover (only allow them to use the white moiturizing one) and the merthiolate. Whenever I moisturize my hands I make it a point to use it on my nails too!

Downside: The Argan Oil I'm using doesn't necessarily have a pleasant smell. It doesn't smell bad either, but it sure does not smell like ordinary baby oils sold in the market. 

LEAVE ON HAIR CONDITIONER - If you have read my previous blog about Brazilian Keratin Blowout, you'd know that i have really damaged locks (due to coloring and rebonding). I have tried expensive products like Treseme, V05, etc. But all of these were temporary, So, I've decided to finally put this product on my hair after air drying it, and I swear that it does magic to my hair! Not only does it tame them it also nourishes them back to life! It revitalizes my hair and makes it look (and feel) healthier! I also notice that my hair doesn't suffer from too much split ends anymore. What's more is that it doesn't leave my hair flat, heavy, shiny and lifeless like what other leave on conditioners does. Here is a photo of my hair tips as proof:



But of course, since Argan Oil have instantly became a hit, a lot of businessmen took advantage of it by selling FAKE Argan Oils, how would you know if what you are using right now is a real argan oil? Here's how to spot the not:

  • Price - sorry, but Argan Oils must be expensive. Simply because of how and where it is made. In the states, Argan Oil is priced at around $10USD / 30ml or approximately Php500.00/30ml. Anything cheaper than that could be a potential fake.

  • Ingredients - As much as possible, original Argan Oil has no preservatives. Check the ingredients on your bottle, if it has other ingredients than 100% Oil of Argan (Argania Spinosa), then most likely, it is fake. You can also check the container. Some people say that Argan Oil should not be stored in plastic, transparent bottles as this breaks down the oil's natural properties. It is best kept in dark amber bottles. The darker, the better.

    photo credit: oilofarganph.com 30ml at Php600.00
  • Scent - unfortunately, Argan Oil does not smell so good. If yours does, then probably it is machine manufactured thus, all its natural properties might have already been dissolved, rendering it useless. It should also not smell like nothing. Because if it is scent-less, then the product you may have with you right now must be just an ordinary oil. A genuine Argan Oil must have the "nutty" scent to it. May not be too pleasant at first but if it's natural, then it should smell like what it is, a nut.

  • Texture and Color - Argan Oil must be silky. It should not feel heavy and sticky on the skin. At the same time, it should also not be too liquidy/watery. It should be absorbed by skin easily. When accidentally put onto a wound, it should not sting. When putting it on your face, it should also not create that stinging feeling. Genuine Argan Oil should also not look too transparent/clear. If your does, it probably means that it has been processed too much. It should be cloudy and pale yellow in color.



I got my sample bottle of Oil of Argan from my BDJ Box "Blushing Beauty" (November 2013) subscription and it took me just now to write a review about it, I'm down to probably 4 or 5 drops of the product and so far, I am really impressed!

So, based on the above mentioned key points of determining if the Argan Oil is genuine or not, let us determine if this product will pass the test:


  • Price - One 30ml bottle costs Php600.00 (approximately $25USD) - check!
  • Ingredients - Yep! The bottle says: "100%  Pure Argania Spinosa Oil from Casablanca, Morocco" PERIOD.  If there's an Argan Tree in Casablanca, then I guess, this is authentic.  Their packaging is in dark amber bottle as well.- check!
  • Scent - A major CHECK! It smells like nuts. (not the typical roasted or fried nut - which smell awesome, this one smells like raw nuts, very musky)
  • Texture and color - Well, quite honestly, my sample is a bit runny/liquidy/watery (as shown above) but it is easily absorbed by the skin (not leaving it shiny looking) and it makes the skin soft and supple. Upon checking the bottle, it is pale yellow in color and it's a bit cloudy. So, yeah, check!
So, I hope you guys are somehow enlightened with my review, should you be interested in buying this product, it is available here in the country, try and check out OIL OF ARGAN PH here.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argan oil comes from nature to provide us the benefit of having gorgeous looking skin and hair. Applying Argan oil to the hair can make it look healthier by preventing frizz and split ends. It can make the hair look shinier and eliminate limp tresses by hydrating the roots and strengthening the hair, making your hair more manageable.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment