SWEET TOOTH DIARIES: Delectable Blueberry Cheesecake

I have avoided making this recipe for the longest time. Why? Because I find it too intimidating! One wrong ingredient, too hot oven temperature, overmixing, undermixing, overcooking, could end up in a disaster. Not to mention, years ago, some of the ingredients used for this recipe is not even available in common supermarkets.

I even gathered various recipes whipped up by world renowned chefs and compared them with each other until I finally scored the best (least number of ingredients) Blueberry Cheesecake recipe there is!

I want to share with you the MOST DELECTABLE BLUEBERRY CHEESECAKE I have ever made! (by the way, replace the blueberry compote with strawberry or with mango or with whatever fruit topping you prefer, it will all taste heavenly!)



MATERIALS:
2 Large bowls
Spatula
Wire Whisk
Parchment Paper
Measuring Spoons
Measuring Cups
Spring Form Pan
Foil
Roasting Pan (bigger than the spring form pan)
Hand or stand mixer

INGREDIENTS:

1.) CRUST
2 Cups ground graham crackers
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 stick (1/2 Cup) unsalted butter, melted

2.) CHEESECAKE
1 16oz (2 bars) Cream Cheese, softened
3 eggs
1 C Sugar
1 240ml Sour Cream
1 lemon's zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Let's start with the crust, it's as easy as one, two, three!

CRUST
1.) Combine all ingredients in one bowl. 

It will look crumbly, but when you press it down the lined spring form pan, it's going to come together just fine. I had a few extra mix so, I decided to make bite size blueberry cheesecake for taste testing. Put equal amount of the mixture and press them at the bottom to form into a crust.


2.) Pop them in the oven and bake them for 5 mins. Let them cool down and set them aside.

CHEESECAKE
1.) In another bowl, cream the creamcheese together with the sugar.

2.) Add the sour cream, vanilla extract and lemon zest and mix them together until well incorporated.

3.) Gradually add in the eggs, one at a time. Make sure that you stop mixing as soon as your ingredients are blended. Do not overmix. Your batter will look thick but flowy.


4.) Pour it into your spring form pan or cupcake cups. 




Notice that I enveloped my spring form pan with a foil. This is because we will give it a water bath. 

Note: Water bath is the process of baking a dessert while the pan is inside a roasting pan with boiling water. This ensures even baking.

So, after wrapping your spring form pan with foil, put it inside the roasting pan with boiling water. The boiling water should only occupy half of the roasting pan so that when you put in the spring form pan, water will not pour over.

5.) Bake for 45 mins. If upon checking, your cheesecake is still jiggly, do not attempt to bake it further. 45minute baking should be enough. The cake will harden as it cools down.



Above is a photo of my cheesecake after baking. I wanted to make sure that it's cooked throughout, so I took a knife and poked it. I know, it was wrong to do that, but I guess I was curious. Nonetheless, it's definitely cooked through and through.

OPTIONAL:
I have purchased fresh strawberries and I wanted to check if this will also be suitable for this cheesecake recipe. So, aside from the ready made blueberry stock (in can) I tried to make a home-made strawberry compote, here is the recipe:

INGREDIENTS:
2 Cups fresh strawberries
1 Cup honey
1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
1/2 Teaspoon strawberry flavor

HOW TO:
It's as simple as putting everything in one pot. Let it simmer and allow all the juices to evaporate until you end up with a thick jam. You can add honey if you want to balance the tangy-ness of the strawberries.




Alright, let's assemble!

After your cheesecake has cooled down to room temperature, simply pour the blueberry stock or the strawberry compote atop.





I am assuring you, this fool proof recipe will make you want to bake this and share them with your loved ones!

Comments