SWEET TOOTH DIARIES: 3 Types Apple and Pear Crumble Pie with Caramel Sauce and Walnuts

Happy new year everyone!

We here in the Philippines celebrate the new year with a BANG! When I was a little girl, I remember helping my mom prepare our Media Noche and ever since then, me and my sisters look forward to this day because we knew that it was going to be such a feast. We love preparing food as much as we love eating them.

Photo credit: afifascana.com

Anyway, now that I have my own family, I wanted to continue this tradition. I wanted my child/ren to appreciate the time and attention that their mom spends to make sure that we welcome the new year right.

So, this year, we are spending the new year's with my in-laws and I did the dessert. I received a lot of fruit baskets last Christmas and I didn't want the fruits to dry out and go to waste, thus I decided to make my ever favorite Apple Crumble, only this time, with a twist!





I am going to share with you this very healthy and sumptuous dessert.


INGREDIENTS:

(Makes 2 8 inch round pie)

Pie Crust and Crumbs:

2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1 Cup Butter, room temperature
1/4 cup White Sugar
2 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder

3-type Apple and Pear Filling:

2pcs Ginger Gold Apple
2pcs Cortland Apple
2pcs Red Delicious Apple
2pcs Pear
1 Cup Honey
3 Tablespoon Muscovado Sugar
1 tablespoon Cinnamon Powder
1 Tablespoon Butter
2 teaspoon vanilla syrup
1/2 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Walnut (optional)


Pie crust and crumbs:

Pre-heat your oven at 180 degrees Celsius.

1.) In a bowl, combine all your dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.


2.) Add butter and combine it with your dry ingredients until you achieve a crumbly dough by "crushing" the butter between your fingers.





3.) Half the mixture and press the other half onto your lined pans. 




Pop them in the oven and bake the crust for about 10 minutes. Let them cool down on a cookie rack.



Filling:

1.) Wash, peel and cut your apples and pears into cubes.


2.) Combine your cubed fruits in a saucepan with water and honey.



3.) Add sugar and vanilla syrup.



4.) Add cinnamon powder and mix thoroughly, ensuring that all your fruits are covered with your honey mixture. Let it simmer until the mixture is reduced into half.



5.) Add walnuts.



6.) Add butter, and simmer it again until the fluids almost dries out, approximately 8 minutes. 




Now it's time to assemble our pie! By this time, you should start pre heating your oven again at 180 degrees Celsius.


Before pouring the fruit reduction onto the pan, I like swirling the crust with caramel sauce to give it that pinch of sweetness. The apples are tarty and balancing it out with the sweetness of the caramel makes a perfect combination.



Pour the fruit reduction onto the pan and ready your crumbs. 



At this point, I normally try to stop myself from poking and tasting my creation. haha! Alright, back to business, grab a handful of the crust and crumble mixture you did earlier and sprinkle it on top of the pie.





Pop it in the oven and bake it for about 15 minutes, reduce your heat at 150 degrees Celsius. Your house should be smelling like cinnamon and sugar at this point and you'd wish that the clock would already strike midnight so you can sink your teeth into this sumptuous dessert!





This is actually great when served hot with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream at the side. Wasn't able to get any photos after they served it anymore. haha!


Enjoy this recipe and let me know if they enjoyed it as well.


May the new year bring you luck, happiness and peace! Happy New Year everyone!

Comments