Review: Revlon Colorstay Ultimate Liquid Lipstick

Photo credit: ko-te.com
Chalky lipsticks are a thing of the past. For ladies with busy lifestyle and are always on the go, lip tints and long wear lipsticks are their best friend.

Unfortunately, living in a country that is half way across the West disables makeup lovers like me to get our hands on the latest makeup trend sprouting in western countries. Should there be micro distributors here, prices are off the roof!

Thank goodness for drugstore makeup! I have wanted to get my hands on long wear lipsticks, particularly the Lime Crime Velvetines (Red Velvet) for the longest time, but have failed miserably until I came across the Revlon Colorstay Ultimate Liquid Lipstick.



Gone are the days (and nights) when I had to excuse myself in the middle of something to go the lou and retouch my lipstick. How embarrassing it is when you keep on plastering that (stupid) smile when all the while your lipstick is chalky and chapped!

Anyway, for you girls out there who can’t buy the Lime Crime Velvetines, you may want to check this out.

Packaging, unlike Lime Crime, Revlon’s Colorstay Ultimate Liquid Lipstick comes in a plastic tube about 4.5 inches long (like a small marker) that to me looks sophisticated, not bad at all. The twist open cap has a black rim with the white Revlon logo printed on it.




Like any other liquid lip product, this one also comes with a felt tip, angled applicator for precise application.

Scent. Unfortunately, this liquid lipstick smells somewhat like paint. Not that it retains on the lips, but of course, if you will be putting your nose along the opening, you would definitely smell that laquer-ish scent. As it dries up, there would be no traces of that smell whatsoever.


I am currently loving deep reds right now, plus I don’t really recommend nude matte lipsticks as it tends to look chapped and when it settles on the cracks of your lips, it is highly noticeable. Nudes are best for sheer and shiny finish, but if you still prefer matte nudes, I will be posting my favourite matte lippies next time.



Anyway, I went ahead and purchased 2 shades: 040 Brilliant Bordeaux (Wine) and 050 Top Tomato (Red). 




Here are the swatches. The product goes on really liquidy but as you allow it to set, it becomes really matte. just gorj!!!

 


And below is how it looks on the lips.

If you look closely, Top Tomato is a lovely shade that is good for people with yellow and pink undertone. The tube has very tiny specs of shimmer that you'd think might give it a little shine, but as it dries up, the shine goes away and turns into this lovely matte shade of red.



Among the two, I am more in love with the Brilliant Bordeaux or a wine plum color. I love how this color is so complex but very versatile. You can wear it in broad daylight and you can definitely wear it at night! I especially love how it instantly brightens up the face. No need for blush and shadows!





Okay, so I am totally in love with the lipstick, but the question now is does it transfer and how is its longevity?




As long as you have given this product ample time to set, transfer is very minimal to none. But, of course, if the product is still tacky and you kiss someone, it really is going to transfer. If you also use other lip products like gloss or plumper, this product would definitely transfer and bleed.

Here is how I look with the TOP TOMATO shade:

As you can see, I am not wearing anything else but my brows! You are date-ready in no time!

Does it feel dry on the lips, actually, to be quite honest, when this product sets, it feel quite heavy on the lips, you will not feel this if you are fond of using lipsticks, but if you are more of the liquid tint or lip balm type of girl, then you would definitely feel the difference. I personally don't mind it at all.

About clean up, you cannot remove this product with just water. You would have to use a makeup remover to really get the product off, especially on the crevices.

It took me a good 8 hours before this product starts to be chalky especially on the inner rims of the lips, maybe because it is constantly wet in there. But all in all, I give this product a two thumbs up!

Cost: Retails for Php825.00 per tube, lasts approximately 6 months if you are not using it daily. Compared with Velvetines, I'd definitely pick this one up once again!

Disclaimer: Not a sponsored review.

Comments

Post a Comment