Swatch and Review: L.A. Girl Matte Flat Finish Pigment Gloss

Everybody has been raving about the latest lip product every week. The most current trend seems to be the long wear ones. 

I have had my eyes set on these babies since I saw a YouTube Makeup Guru (Kathleen Lights) make a swatch video of all shades. This is the new L.A. Girl Matte Flat Finish Pigment Gloss.

This new line of matte lip “gloss” has 16 shades. From nudes to glam, L.A. Girl’s got it all covered. I am just wondering why they called it a “gloss” when it is, to me, more of a lacquer than a gloss because of its long wear characteristics. Plus, it dries matte, so where is the "gloss" in that? 

Photo credit: https://www.lagirlusa.com/Matte-Pigment-Gloss-3411.html


Anyway, I was finally able to find a supplier from one of my favorite IG shops (USPhilBoutique). She is selling each tube at P240.00 (approx. $5.00USD). I was supposed to buy 5 shades namely: Dreamy, Fleur, Bazaar, Rebel and Secret. I think those shades are enough to cover my nudes to glam lipstick requirements. Unfortunately, (this actually makes me desperately sad) Secret is currently out of stock. I have already given my intent to purchase but I would still have to wait until the 16th to order them. (Insert sad, disappointed, crazy face here!)



Anyway, I am still happy to get my hands on these four shades (Dreamy, Fleur, Bazaar and Rebel) as these happen to be very morena friendly shades. I'll show you why later on.

Let's get on with the review.


PACKAGING:



I love how simple the packaging is, but unlike the usual slim tube, these lip products have a stout container. To me, it is fine because it make me easily identify it when I grab for it in my makeup pouch. The cap is made of matte plastic perhaps signifying that the finish is matte. The tube itself is see through, enabling you to see if it is true to its color upon application. It contains only 5 grams of product, but because the tube is stout, it somehow tricks you to believe that it contains more. Nonetheless, I think for products that have a short expiration date (this one has 24 months) 5 grams is more than enough. You might also want to bother with the barcode. The first three digits would tell you whether or not this is an authentic US product (081). Don't you just hate imitation?









SCENT AND APPLICATOR WAND:



Compared with other wands/ applicator, the LA Girl Matte Flat Finish Pigment Gloss has a stiff, flat, felt applicator with a rounded tip. I usually see a tapered cylindrical applicator tip common to a lip gloss. I personally like this one because it gets enough product that is evenly distributed for easier application. See comparison below, notice that in the Revlon's applicator wand, the product is concentrated on the tapered end, therefore, upon application, you are actually all depositing the product outright, you have to drag the wand all over your lips to evenly spread it out. With the LA Girl applicator wand, notice how the product is evenly deposited making it easier for you to glide it on your lips.



Let's talk about the scent. What I lurrrve about this product is that it has a very discreet lacquer-ish scent that could pass even the most sensitive nose! What's more is that when the product dries, the scent seems to evaporate as well. Love it!


APPLICABILITY, LONGEVITY TEST:

LA Girl is able to come up with a formula that to me can only be described as somewhat a whipped mousse-y liquid.

I don't know if that makes sense.

What I mean is, the formula isn't runny, but isn't thick at the same time. It feels whipped and mousse-like so it makes it easy to apply on the lips. The four shades that I purchased is not patchy at all. It glides on the lips in an even coat and it is buildable. However, there is a downside to that, the more you build on the product, the more tacky it becomes, so I suggest that you give each layer enough time to dry.



Above is the shade Dreamy, which by the way is an awesome nude shade even for morenas like me. The only thing that I don't like about it is that when it dries, it emphasizes the lines and cracks of my lips. Which I don't really mind much because all I have to do is dab on a little balm here and there. All light shades whichever brand that is, so long as the finish is matte would really emphasize lines and cracks.





In the photo above, I had the shade Fleur on. I started at 2:35 in the afternoon and went on with my day with the fambam. I remembered having Shoyu ramen (yum!) for late lunch and BonChon Shrimp with rice for dinner. At 11:25 in the evening, I noticed that I still had traces of the product on especially at the outer part of my lips, the inner rim however already showed skin. Maybe if I hadn't had ramen for lunch it would've stayed longer more. Nonetheless, I am so stoked to see that this "gloss"is really long lasting!

SWATCHES:
L-R: Rebel, Bazaar, Fleur, Dreamy

Yep, it may look good on skin, but let's see if it still looks great on a morena's lips!


Rebel - In the photo it may seem maroonish, but in reality, this is more on the violet shade. It is better with one layer, because it tends to become too dark if more than that, as a result, it makes your teeth look yellowish. I like it because it defines the lips and gives you that rockstar look!



Bazaar - This shade is more on the pinkish red side. It is great for daily and formal look. It gives you that color without being too overpowering.



Fleur - Brick or brownish orange color. Great dupe for Nyx Abu Dhabi Soft Matte Lip Cream. Perfect for everyday or office use. If you want to go for a simple or smoky eye, this one is perfect!


Dreamy - More of a whitish pink shade. This will definitely highlight your eyeshadow color. Perfect for a sensual evening or a formal gathering. I love that it complements morena skin as well.

If I was going to give this a star rating, I would definitely give it a Perfect score! I love that this is very inexpensive and the shade range is very friendly to all skin types. The long wearability is also a big plus factor. 

BUT...

Yep, there's a big BUT.

This product is a bit drying on the lips. If this bothers you, then you ought to exfoliate your lips more. You may also want to use an oil based makeup remover to ensure that this product easily washes off your lips. Just apply a moisturizing balm right after every use and you should be fine.

I hope this review helps, if you are still hesitant to buy, then listen to me when I say that it is too good an investment to let it pass. 

Every girl should have one in their makeup collection!

Comments

  1. I love LA Girl for their concealers and eyeshadows, and quite recently, their liquid lipsticks too! I currently have Dreamy only but I'm looking to add a couple more shades when I visit the mall again. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one. You just enabled me to buy more shades! Hehehe xx

    thebeautybender.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. been thinking of buying another shade since i already have Bazaar. this post is very helpful (for me).thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how does bazaar come on your skin? in pics it looks like a deep brown/red, but in this post it looks like a light pink..I am confused

      Delete
  3. The formula is not non-comedogenic meaning that it has ingredients that can cause clogged pores resulting in breakouts. Not a perfect color match for yellow skin tones.
    LA Girl Products Online In Pakistan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment